VPN Bandwidth Requirements

Jon Carnes jonc at NC.RR.COM
Fri Mar 9 17:15:54 EST 2001

On Friday 09 March 2001 10:58, Eric Vyncke wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Do you have figure for DSL availability ? and time to repair ?
>
> Thanks
>
> -eric

This information is purely regional.  Outside of PacBell, the best providers
I have found for ordinary DSL are smaller local carriers that give a
guarantee on their back-end B.

I can get a Business DSL added to existing service in 5 days with PacBell -
10 days if it is a totally new install.  Their repair time is also
impressive. The longest down time has been a few minutes (during business
hours).

One of the best semi-national providers of DSL I've come across is
Speakeasy.net.  Their customer service is incredibly good, and their turn
around time is phenomenally fast.  Of course they depend on a local installer
to run the loop out to you, and that is where things can get frustrating.  At
least Speakeasy handles that for you.  Their price is not the lowest on the
market, but then they also don't over subscribe.

I have several sites using Speakeasy.net and I haven't had any troubles.

On the opposite end of the scale is BellSouth.  I cannot find words profane
enough to describe their lack of care and service.