VPN Bandwidth Requirements

Stephen Hope shope at ENERGIS-EIS.CO.UK
Fri Mar 9 16:06:02 EST 2001

Philipp,

If you need bandwidth of 50k+ on a 64k line you already have a problem.....

Networks dont have steady state traffic, so you need some headroom. 100%
spare (ie.e 50% used) is a realistic compromise, but more is better. And the
next release will be bigger, use more bandwidth, do more things that eat
bandwidth.

also, the nearer you run to the link capacity the higher the latency, and it
follows an exponential curve as the %age of bandwidth used increases.

you can get by with little or no spare capacity but life will be difficult.

Also there is always extra background traffic, or contributions from other
application which will soak up "just a bit more".

Finally, there is always an unpleasant surprise - the last one that got me
was a month end file transfer which had to be moved in 2 hours because that
was the timeout for dial in, but it took 3......

Stephen

Stephen Hope C. Eng, Network Consultant, shope at energis-eis.co.uk,
Energis Integration Services Ltd, WWW: http://www.energis-eis.co.uk
Carrington Business Park, Carrington, Manchester , UK. M31 4ZU
Tel: +44 (0)161 776 4194 Mob: +44 (0)7767 256 180 Fax: +44 (0)161 776
4189

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Energis Integration Services.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this email is strictly prohibited.

We have an anti-virus system installed on all our PC's and therefore any files
leaving us via e-mail will have been checked for known viruses.
Energis Integration Services accepts no responsibility once an e-mail
and any attachments leave us.

If you have received this email in error please notify Energis Integration Services Communications
IT department on +44 (0) 1494 476222..