VPN Bandwidth Requirements

Matthew Harkrider mhark at INSYNC.NET
Fri Mar 9 14:44:22 EST 2001

Jon,
I would agree with your assessment of DSL. Until the technology becomes
more dependable (which can mean a million different things) or unless
there is a priority placed on 'business-class DSL', then I would expect to
see T-1's around for a long time.
I would never, ever place my own business on DSL if I depend on the
Internet for work, or if my business revolves around web presence. As you
mentioned, carriers place priority on T-class service and not DSL, mostly
because that is where the money is for them.
Aside from the fact that there are enough issues with ILEC's, there is so
much that could go wrong with the technology in general. So, unless you
have brand new copper in the ground where you want DSL, you are extremely
close to the nearest C.O., and you don't get a lot of rain, then I would
steer clear of DSL for business purposes. You may be able to gauge the
amount of money you save when you compare the associated monthly cost of
DSL vs. T-1 but think about all the money that is lost while your DSL line
is down for 3 weeks?

Just a thought.

MH