VPN Bandwidth Requirements

Eric Vyncke evyncke at CISCO.COM
Fri Mar 9 10:58:02 EST 2001

At 15:12 8/03/2001 -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:
>I think that your assumption is historically accurate.  However, internet
>connectivity has changed dramatically in the States.
>
>Where in the past I would setup a site using a T1, I now opt for a "Business
>Class" DSL connection.  The cost is dramatically lower, and the bandwidth up
>to 3 times faster than a T1.  I am even running some smaller sites using
>cable connections.

Jon,

Do you have figure for DSL availability ? and time to repair ?

Thanks

-eric

>Increased competition and infrastructure has increased the bandwidth and
>dropped the prices.  For intra-city connects, I can easily grab some B from
>a local loop company and get upwards of 10Mb clear channel for what I used
>to pay for T1's.
>
>I believe you will find that Traditional T1 for data transport is on the way
>out.
>
>Jon Carnes
>MIS - HAHT Commerce

Eric Vyncke
Distinguished Engineer             Cisco Systems EMEA
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke at cisco.com          Mobile: +32-475-312.458 (CHANGED)
PGP fingerprint: D35F BEF9 643F 656F 90F5  76C5 9CA1 C289 D398 B141