Netscreen10-VPN

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Thu Mar 8 16:38:56 EST 2001

  I've found something in the configs that confuses *me*; it might or might
not be relevant.

  On each NetScreen, you appear to have defined one Manual Key VPN tunnel
and one AutoKey VPN tunnel.  Your outgoing policy rules say "Encrypt", but
where I'd expect to see the name of the tunnel definition to use, I instead
see "*".
  [I've never done anything on ours with AutoKey tunnels, so my gut
inclination is to blow away the AutoKey definitions and see if that fixes
the problem.  I'd also enable logging and see how the tests that fail get
logged differently from those that succeed.]

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
(650) 701-2702
Niku Corp. "Transforming the Service Economy"

David Leija
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 11:17 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Fwd: Netscreen10-VPN

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to fill in some of the holes you guys
pointed out. Here you go.

Outbound encryption is identically configured on both boxes. If this was not
true, how would I be able to ping any host on Lan1 from Host2?

I'm using 2port NAT
I've minimized the number of policies, I have only one outbound policy(the
VPN) on each box and I don't even have an inbound policy on either box.

This is a site-to-site VPN, not a site-dialin client VPN.
Tunnel definitions match on both boxes
I have, for simplicity, removed inbound policies on both boxes and still
experience the same results(can access lan2 from lan2, but can't access lan2
from lan1)
Host1 cannot ping untrusted interface of Netscreen1 but can ping its trusted
interface.
I am not routing uncrypted traffic.

How can I use these boxes as routers in 2port NAT mode?

If it were a routing problem, I'd think that I could not Telnet from Host2
to Host1 as Telnet is a TCP session application that requires ack packets
from Host1 to Host2 which would be lost with routing problems.

I don't want to turn this into a project, I know you all have jobs. I do
appreciate your patience though. I've included configuration information a
few of you asked for in the attatched text files.