VPN Bandwidth Requirements

Geoffrey Dacosta geoff.dacosta at EXCITE.CA
Thu Mar 8 11:17:45 EST 2001

First, let me thank everyone for their assistance with my questions
regarding bandwidth.  Your emails have helped me a lot.

I've been doing some more reading on VPNs, and I have learned that VPNs
typically fall into one of 5 classes (Class 0, Class 1, Class 2, Class 3,
and Class 4), with the higher numbered classes normally tailored to larger
companies.  It is my understanding, based on what I have read, that the
bandwidth requirement (ie, that which connects to the long haul
backbone)regardless of the class, is typically T1 (though I do realize that
the higher numbered classes can be higher-T3 or OC3, and the lowered
numbered classes can be lower).  Would this be a safe assumption?

Thanks again,
Geoff