VPN Bandwidth Requirements

Renuka Nadkarni renuka_nadkarni at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 7 15:35:23 EST 2001

I dont see how using a VPN can affect the bandwidth
requirement.
Only thing that may change with use of a VPN is that
you have to make sure that the VPN gateway is not a
bottleneck. Most of the manufacturers have different
speeds of encryption so a right platform can be
chosen.
As for remote access it is usually limited by the
access connection (DSL or modem)
I would first design the network and then purchase the
VPN equipment (firewall/router/hardware gateway) to do
encryption for the traffic.
As such I think the bandwidth and vpn are diffrent
issue.
(Just realised that this is true for layer 3 IPSec
VPNs. If you are talking about VPNs using VCs for ATM
or FR where QOS plays main role it is a diff ball
game.)