Ask about Microsoft VPN ?

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Wed Mar 7 14:59:29 EST 2001

> 1. Can i build application (using VC++) include VPN and/or other security
> protocol ?

  Maybe you could, but I don't think you should.  VPN tunnels should look
like routers, transparently to any network-enabled application; trying to
jam VPN protocols into the application itself breaks layering and
unnecessarily restricts the ways you can deploiy your application.  [It
sounds like you are trying to use VPN to do SSL's job....]

> 2. Should i divide web server and VPN server into 2 computers, (assume
> number of client between 10 - 1000)

  A single server can probably handle 10 users, but separate servers will be
easier to troubleshoot, and as your user base grows, you may need to add
more capacity/redundancy, of either type.  Splitting these functions looks
like a sensible design decision.

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
(650) 701-2702
Niku Corp. "Transforming the Service Economy"

if anyone can help me, may email me at: indra at makara.cso.ui.ac.id

thanks for your help...

-- ib95 --