Help

Morris, Jason jmorris at GRAYCARY.COM
Fri Mar 2 18:03:18 EST 2001

In San Diego the @home rate is $49.95 (with a $10 discount if you have cable
TV), and the @work rate is $99.95.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Chowning [mailto:schowning at HOME.COM]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 8:31 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: Help

Does anyone have a ballpark idea what an upgrade to @work costs? I have
tried to
look on ATT's website, but they just want me to submit a request for a
quote. I
don't mind paying more as long as the rate is commensurate with my usage.
Most
of the "pitch" on the website seems to be aimed at the larger companies, T1,
T3,
etc., and this is much more bandwidth (and thus cost) than I need, I
believe,
and makes me expect a large quote.. Again, forgive any ignorance on my part
in
these matters. And thanks to EVERYONE that replied. You all have been most
helpful.

Kevin O'Brien wrote:

> Stephen,
> We have several people using cable modems to connect to various corporate
> networks using VPN.  Since Comcast is aggregate of several different cable
> systems one system might be enforcing whereas the other is not.  I'm
trying
> to get more information currently from our user base as to which systems
> they are actually using via(comcast) and whether or not this is being
> enforced and I will post it to the list.  A rep from Comcast told me
> recently at a tradeshow that they are not actually enforcing this but
hoping
> that telecommuters upgrade to the @work package, but I might stand
corrected
> reading some of these postings.  By the way we are utilizing the SafeNet
> Speed Fe and SafeNet Soft IPSec clients for remote access.
>
> Here is a previous posting from a list participant which you might find
> useful:
>
> Some of our users can not make VPN work. For example one of our
subscribers
> was recently notified by his cable company they were changing their policy
> re VPN; specifically Section 6 B VIII of the new Comcast at Home Cable Modem
> Internet connection Subscriber Agreement (effective 9/15/00) prohibits the
> use of VPNs or VPN tunneling protocols. (The entire Service Agreement at
> http://www.comcastonline.com/clr-agreement-v3.pdf.) Presumably this is
done
> by either turning off specific protocols or ports. We were lucky he read
the
> fine print in a recent e-mail. Not sure how we would figured it out
> otherwise. Other users get different levels of performance (it's slow)
than
> others. We are guessing that somewhere in the path some percentage of
> packets are being discarded?
>
> Is there a tool set that will quickly tell us if VPN will or won't work
for
> a specific subscriber to a specific location. Presumably the tool set
would
> include a client that runs in the subscribers PC which sends and receives
> messages (or attempts to)  using all of the relevant port numbers and
> protocols to a server. What we are calling a "VPN Ping". If not can you
> recommend someone who can developed the tool?
>
> Kevin O'Brien
> CapuNet

> Stephen Chowning
> Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 5:05 PM
> To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
> Subject: Re: Help
>
> Forgive my ignorance here, but my cable modem is "always on" and the
> connection was purchased as
> if for home use, however it is primarily used for internet access for my
> home-based business.
> Since it is always on, it couldn't be more on if I bought "business"
> service. The real issue is
> bandwidth used. Theoretically, a business using a VPN connection to
> telecommute would use more
> bandwidth than a "home" user, and thus should pay more. Fine. So base the
> pricing on bandwidth
> used, not whether there is a VPN connected. I would like to connect a VPN
> my "home" cable
> modem, but from the sounds of some of the discussions, I doubt it is
> possible without an upgrade
> to "business". Since I am not getting notified from ATT that my use is
> excessive, as I certainly
> would be if I hooked a website up to my cable modem,  I must not be using
> too much bandwidth. If
> a light useage VPN would not significantly increase bandwidth useage, what
> is the problem?
>
> "Carl E. Mankinen" wrote:
>
> > I can say with utmost certainty, that several of the broadband service
> providers are in fact
> > blocking ports required for VPN's, IPSec, IKE, etc.
> >
> > They do this in a bootfile that is loaded shortly after the cablemodem
> finishes ranging and
> > establishes block sync. In a DOCSIS compliant bridge, these bootfiles
have
> what look
> > like access-lists and they load the appropriate bootfile depending on
your
> service contract.
> >
> > Home accounts are for "personal" use. Not for always-on VPN "business"
> use.
> > If businesses wish to have employees telecommute, they must get business
> accounts to do it.

[INFO] -- Content Manager:

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To contact our email administrator directly, send to postmaster at graycary.com

Thank you.