Help

Longar, Dennis dlongar at IBSYS.COM
Fri Mar 2 10:37:28 EST 2001

Blocking port for the protection of the average customer is probably
somewhat OK.  If the ISP gets threatened with a law suit or something...

Is it possible to read the manual and be able to reset the
boot files yourself?  Or do they lock you out of that?  I
guess I would try and research the hardware and see if there
is any change you can make to how it boots to open it up to
all ports.

> The boot files which are loaded now contain quite a few access
> lists for port
> filtering depending on which bootfile you get. Most customers
> are completely
> oblivious to this fact.

When you're creating a service for the masses you have to take some
precautions also, I guess maybe QWEST was more liberal, we would,
and did help many customer get VPN's working.  The more customers
you get, what you find is the higher your over subscription ratio
gets.  Overall business customers % is relatively low.

> RoadRunner service as many other providers is not managed in
> a global fashion
> when it comes to network operations. Because they are often
> piecemeal acquisitions
> of other cable providers, they tend to have regional
> differences in how they operate
> their broadband networks.

Yes, they are Franchises versus regulated entities!

> I have heard that in some markets, @Home is in fact filtering
> VPN access and
> pushing customers towards @Work accounts.

That is lame, and I would encourage people to let them know,
and if telling them doesn't help, talk with your money and
dump their service.

I suppose you also have to be interested in pricing.  If it was
$1-$2 more per month to be able to do VPN... I guess I might be
more apt to buy a business grade service.  If the price is double
or 50% more, I would question it.

I go to work almost every day, but on those few days and
evenings when I need to work from home, I need to work from
home! and I would not put up with paying a business rate for
how little I do it.

Part of me would like to say everything should be wide open,
and responsibility should be the subscribers problem.

I have very little sympathy for a church that didn't know what
they were getting with cable modem. Our church set up a voluntary
technology committee that made recommendation on how to prevent
things like the above.  If they can afford the computer and the
internet (or if it was donated) they can get together a voluntary
committee to make sure they're protected.

Caveat Emptor!

When those kind of things hit the press and fall back to the
provider/ISP, they do whatever they can to protect themselves
from it happening again...  I guess...

I guess the other old saying, "The masses are asses" comes in
here too.

Thanks!  I'm done whining now!  Good luck!!

For a solution I would suggest you find out about your hardware
and see if you can modify it yourself.

-Dennis