Help

Biggerstaff, Craig Craig.Biggerstaff at CSOCONLINE.COM
Thu Mar 1 17:51:08 EST 2001

From: Stephen Chowning [mailto:schowning at HOME.COM]
> So base the pricing on bandwidth used, not whether there
> is a VPN connected. I would like to connect a VPN to my
> "home" cable modem, but from the sounds of some of the
> discussions, I doubt it is possible without an upgrade
> to "business". Since I am not getting notified from ATT that
> my use is excessive, as I certainly would be if I hooked
> a website up to my cable modem,  I must not be using too
> much bandwidth. If a light usage VPN would not
> significantly increase bandwidth usage, what is the problem?

The "problem" is that providers associate VPN usage with business usage,
correctly or not, and infer that they can charge more for it.  A
lightly-used VPN will not consume nearly as much bandwidth as a diehard
Napster user.  The difference is that companies know Napster users won't pay
business rates; they assume VPN users will.  They also know that in most
locales where you can get this service, you don't often have an option of
taking your business elsewhere.

-- Craig Biggerstaff