Clarity, please

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Thu Jun 21 23:32:35 EDT 2001

http://www.netscreen.com/aboutus/articles/news042401.html

The Netscreen 5 is a *cool* device.  What you get is a fantastic router with
a lot of cache and some awesome "built-in" capability.  Its a firewall,
router, DHCP server with the ability to run 10 simultaneous IP Sec based
VPN's, and it can also do limited QoS (Quality of Service: it gives certain
traffic higher priority so that your VPN stays up and running smoothly).

For the price, this is a killer box.

The three things you pay for are:
  - Built in IP Sec vpn with easy configuration.  This is worth the price of
the box all by itself.  Configuring IP Sec properly can be a major time
sink, unless you are a pro.
  - Speed.  The box was built to route and vpn, and it was built well.  It
routes quickly, whether over the internet or over an established VPN.  One
problem with poorly designed or overly secured VPN's is added latency (the
time it takes a packet to enter one end of the router and leave through the
other end). Also this box was designed intelligently so that your
connections stay up even with low bandwidth.
  - Capacity.  The darn thing can handle a thousand simultaneous
connections.  So you can have a lot of machines hitting the net
simultaneously.

In contrast, a Linksys Cable router, has no built in VPN ability.  It will
allow you to pass IP Sec and PPTP so that each client running behind it can
run a VPN connection (or you dedicate one of your internal boxes as a VPN
router).
There is no QoS built into the Linksys.  It passes packets on a
first-in/first-out basis, and if it gets too busy it starts to drop packets
indiscriminately, and then you loose your connections.
Price is the primary concern of the Linksys, not speed or capacity.  Yes it
runs fine in a small office situation, but its going to bog down when it
gets overloaded (say about 10 computers hitting the internet fairly hard).

All that being said, I've bought over 200 Linksys boxes for use in our
remote offices and employee homes.  If an office grows to the point that its
Linksys starts to fail, we replace it with a low-end computer running Linux.

Jon Carnes