Clarity, please

hermit1 hermits at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 16:57:07 EDT 2001

You can buy a NetGear router for under $100 that does firewall, dhcp (both
getting it from the ISP and acting as server to internal nodes), address
translation, and probably more.  I consider these
hardware-with-no-moving-parts and more reliable than a software solution on
a computer that is doing other things.  I think LinkSys is similar in price
and function, but I selected Netgear because it did syslog and Linksys
didn't (I don't know if it does now).  Allowing inbound connections past
the Netgear requires some tinkering with telnetting to the router and
tinkering with the rules in ways that are not obvious.  I use ssh from Mac,
Windoze, and unix, so I don't know if Netgear does VPN or not.