Inter-Corporate VPN's

Chris Carlson carlsonmail at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 15:49:05 EDT 2001

Ah!

You're running into one of the problems with IPSec
VPNs.  Overlapping IP address space is a huge
limitation and NAT pools will only complicate the
matter further in addition to causing problems with
IPSec.

My suggestion is thus:

Don't do a workaround with your IP address space.
You'll never get it right, and the next
customer/partner/supplier that you link up might break
it.

SOLVE it by going with public addressable IP address
space.  Create a second DMZ with this routable space
and put your servers here.  This second DMZ will allow
you to quickly and easily add the segment without
impacting how you do your current primary DMZ.

Also, if you have customers connecting to your
servers, you shouldn't have them connect to the INSIDE
of your network in the first place.  Any compromise on
the server they're allowed to go will let them access
other parts of the network.  Keep them separated!

Oh, another way to do it is to host your servers in a
Data Center (like Exodus, a qualified ISP, or other).
You'll still get public IP space, you can put your
NetScreen boxes there, plus you'll get the benefit of
power backup, cooling, etc.

Good luck to you.  Please respond back to the list
with what you eventually decided upon.

Chris