VPN costs savings

Christopher S. Gripp cgripp at AXCELERANT.COM
Mon Jan 29 19:14:35 EST 2001

You don't even have to change algorithms.  Redcreek is canadian based and
they have a pretty good product.

Carlson
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 2:02 PM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: VPN costs savings

A quick comment on Nick's note about encryption
strength:

Don't be pigeon-holed into U.S. VPN products.  There
are many very good Canadian, European, Asian, or
Australian VPN vendors that are limited by the U.S.
Commerce Department export restriction.

The IDEA algorithm is 128-bit and Swiss developed (I
think ASCOM holds the license), and I think 256-bit
CAST was developed by a Canadian company.  I think
even Sun purchased Elvis, a Russian encryption
standard...?

If you're looking at non-U.S. encryption use, then
look at non-U.S. vendors.

As for the VPN vs. private WAN comments, I disagree.
I feel that any "decent" VPN system on a private IP
backbone (UUNET, Sprint, XO, Equant, etc.) even if it
carries general Internet traffic is much more secure
than unencrypted point-to-point circuits.

Chris