VPN costs savings

Nick v d Walt nick at VDWALT.COM
Mon Jan 29 07:06:29 EST 2001

Two Sides of the spectrum.

Security - Less secure than a point to point Leased line system as you are
dealing in a public domain. Triple DES is not allowed in all countries
across the world - resulting in using single des............drop in
security.

It all depends on how you look at it. I am an IT Manager for the Eastern
Hemisphere of an international organisation, and yes the reduction of
quarterly payments was the deciding factor. But then again i am only saving
about $5k per quarter at some locations.

Playing Devils Advocate a bit.

Either way, VPN is a winner.

Cheers

Nick

Muniz
Sent: 25 January 2001 09:26
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: VPN costs savings

I fully agree with Chris,
Also let me add up that when you might need to pay $K's and a lot of
them
for dedicated circuits across the globe, the VPN will save you so
much...
Also lets keep in mind the logistics and turn around time to set a
dediated circuit T1, DS3
or whatever the price to pay in time and provisioning is much greater.
As far as the points have connectivity to the big I the VPN deployment
is just
a couple of hrs.
So with all this plus the security benefits.. it is a no brainer

Jose