Small VPN implementation (ideas?)

Seth Northrop seth at CALCULON.NORTHROPS.COM
Thu Jan 25 20:39:27 EST 2001

Howdy,

Just bumped into this list, but, didn't find an answer to this question
after a quick perusing.

I want to build a fairly simplistic VPN.

Currently a very simplistic view of an architecture looks like:

         --  Mail Server   Intranet
         |-  Web Server    DB
Internet |-  Firewall <--- File Server
         --  DNS           Internal LAN

Ideally, we want to allow remote users with both static AND/OR dynamic ip
addresses (dialup/DSL/Cable etc.) into the internal network securely so
that we can allow SMTP relaying to only occur from an internal interface /
SMTP server, along with giving users access to our corporate intranet
and/or fileserver(s).

Currently we are doing port forwarding from the firewall and POP
authenticated relay restrictions on the external mail server.  Neither
seem as clean as a VPN solution.

Clients are mostly Windows 95/98/2000 with the potential that windows ME
could pop into the picture.  There are also a few linux clients that could
gain access.

This is not a heavily remotely used network.  I wouldn't expect more than
a couple of people at any given point remotely accessing the
network.. and, of those they will not be pushing a large amount of data.

Are there any software (Linux) solutions out there that will accomodate
windows based clients with dynamic addressing?  If not, is the Cisco 1720
a suitable alternative for this configuration?  Or, are there other low
cost devices out there that will accomplish this objective?

Thanks for any input you can share!

Seth