vpn on NT4, well almost!

Christophersen, Jim jimchris at RVCSCHOOLS.ORG
Thu Jan 25 08:28:43 EST 2001

Hello,

I'm setting up VPN in both windows NT4 and 2000 using RRAS and PPTP.

So far I can "call" the VPN server over the internet, then login with a
username and password to a local account on the vpn server.

BUT then I get a timeout  in 60 seconds or so  while "registering on/with
the network" is displayed at the workstation.

The event log on the server says the workstation disconnected but gives no
indication of an error condition?

Tracing the network traffic with Microsoft's netmon2, is see a configuration
dialog of some kind underway and repeating until the timeout induced end.

So anyone been here, resolved this? All Suggestions welcome, (except any
regarding alternates to Microsoft as a vendor/ technology provider!!!)

 Thx

  Jim Christophersen
  Rockville School District
  Rockville Centre, NY 11570