Redundant VPN Solutions

Chris Carlson carlsonmail at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 15 20:03:16 EST 2001

Dante,

It depends on what you want redundant.  Do you want
the Internet lines redundant, or the VPN device(s), or
both?

It's possible to have a single VPN device behind an
Internet access router running BGP4 to connect two
Internet lines together.  If one line goes down, the
other takes over and the VPN device doesn't change!
This still makes a single point of failure at the
router and VPN devices, but most connectivity issues
is with failed Internet lines, not with the equipment
(in my experience).

If you want the VPN device itself to failover, you
have two options:

1) Look at VPN devices that failover (Cisco 5000,
Nortel Contivity, Check Point VPN-1, etc.)

2) Use a failover device between two VPN devices that
don't failover.  Network Computing had a good article
on this; it's a good starting point.

http://www.networkcomputing.com/1102/1102ws1.html

Good luck!

Chris