New VPN Installation

Randy Burgess celusil at WWA.COM
Wed Jan 10 11:59:53 EST 2001

Greetings All.

I am a new member of the list, I have been in IT management for @15
years

I have read the Faq and some of the How to's on the web page and I'm
still swimming a little bit.  I think I understand some of the basics
but actually getting started seems difficult for me.

I have a March 1st deadline for VPN connectivity to corporate from @15+
buildings (3-10 users per building) There are also remote user
possibilities.

We have an agreement for T1 lines to the internet for almost all of the
buildings and a couple will use DSL.

My firm has a very strong bottom line ethic they absolutely want the
cheapest.  Me, I want the easiest.

After reading stuff here and elswhere, I don't think I can leap into
Linux - I know nothing about it. A hardware solutions seems to be the
easiest.  I have spoken to one consulting firm, however they apparently
aren't willing to buy the routers for me set them up and leave. They
want a monthly per user per building fee.

What I'm really looking for is a consulting company in Chicago that will
help me implement the corporate side and teach me to implement the
building side then go away.  (Anybody know someone like that?)

Alternatively, I need a fast track learning solution so that I can do it
myself.

Questions for this group:
1. am I dreaming, is this not learnable in the amount of time given?
2. Is a monthly fee prettty standard even if your not leasing equipment
or T1 lines?
3. Is this an inappropriate posting for the list?

Randy Burgess
celusil at wwa.com