VPN from home

Kent Dallas kdallas at INTELISPAN.NET
Tue Jan 2 14:38:08 EST 2001

Simon,

I am doing at my house exactly what you want to be doing, except across a
cable modem instead of a DSL connection (and that difference is not likely
relevent).

The first question has already been asked - what is providing the NAT/PAT
function in your system?  Presumably, it is your home computer, but that it
not clear yet (for example, I am using Win 98 with Internet Connection
Sharing enabled).

When you plug up your laptop, do you at least have Internet access (prior to
launching the Altiga client)?  If not, solve that problem first, and you may
not have any problem.

If you have Internet access, you will need to enable "IPSec over NAT", as
was previously described (assuming you are using IPSec - the Altiga also
supports PPTP).  This needs to be enabled in the client and the
concentrator.

Do you have a firewall in place?  If so, the previous reply regarding the
ports and protocols used (for either IPSec or PPTP) need to be allowed
through.  If you do not have a firewall in place (on or before your home
computer), I would recommend that you get one (which can be as inexpensive
as free for non-commercial users of software firewalls).

And btw, there are some potential conflicts between the Altiga client and
some popular PPPoE drivers (often used in ADSL deployments), but since you
are not talking about running the Altiga client on the home computer, I
doubt this issue is relevent.

Good Luck,
Kent Dallas