vpn won't work due to route caching on NT 4.0 sp6a

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Wed Feb 28 20:58:04 EST 2001

  Oh yeah -- the other approach is to use docked/undocked hardware profiles,
or install something like Symantec's "Mobile Essentials" which allows you to
select between different network configurations for different locations.

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
(650) 701-2702
Niku Corp. "Transforming the Service Economy"

Gillett
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 5:32 PM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: vpn won't work due to route caching on NT 4.0 sp6a

  We've seen a similar issue, and I think the key is to look at why you need
a static address.
  In our case, the laptops that need a static address do not need that
address to be given to anyone else -- they just need a static way to refer
to *themselves*.  In this case, making one of the NIC addresses static is
the wrong solution.  The "obvious" solution is to use the universal loopback
address of 127.0.0.1, or, in the cases where that doesn't work (I have not
had a chance to investigate and understand these...), install the MS
Loopback Connector, which by default installs at 10.0.0.1.  Either of these
allows the NIC addresses to continue to use DHCP.

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
(650) 701-2702
Niku Corp. "Transforming the Service Economy"

Kennedy