VPN Information

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Thu Feb 22 17:47:37 EST 2001

  We're using NetScreen firewalls at each of our sites, and relying on their
capabilities for point-to-point VPN connection.  Until their latest release,
they haven't been able to route traffic from one tunnel directly into
another, so this required a fully-meshed set of tunnels -- potentially 210
to link our 15 sites!  (In fact, some of the outlying locations rarely
connect to each other, and so not all 210 are defined....)
  A second issue concerns tunnelling from inside site A to inside site B and
then crossing the firewall from inside to DMZ; that may also be implemented
in the latest release although perhaps its harder to do.

  The third issue -- one that doesn't just apply to NetScreen and which no
device vendor can likely fix -- is that while the Internet is usually drawn
as an undifferentiated cloud, in fact different carriers peer with each
other to varying extents and in varying locations.
  A recurring nightmare involves sites served by different carriers A and B
who have no direct peering point.  Often, traffic from A to B will be
carried on C while traffic from B to A flows over D.  So we now have four
carriers in the mix, two of whom don't have us as customers, so we have zero
influence/leverage with them.  So when the gateway between B and D becomes
overloaded and starts to drop packets, our "secure" connection rapidly
degrades below usability.  B points its finger at D and shrugs.
  A few carriers will offer an SLA (Service Level Agreement) *IF* all of the
sites involved are carried by them.  We've been migrating our sites to UUNet
for this reason; you have to determine if their premium pricing is worth it
for your case.

  I'm not sure what characteristics would lead you to deploy different
solutions for home and travelling remote users.  We're using the Cisco VPN
3000 for both, and in fact for our most recent business-to-business
"extranet" link as well.  (I think there's actually a PIX on the other end
of that connection.)  We actually selected this solution while it was
Altiga, based on four primary criteria:

1.  Initial PPTP support with the option to move up to IPSEC.  In practice,
limitations of the PPTP support and ease of IPSEC had us move up right from
the outset.

2.  Initial NT domain authentication with the option to move up to SecurID
authentication.  We've had two minor "scares" -- less than full-fledged
incidents -- which would have been avoided if we had deployed SecurID, but
we haven't yet managed to work it into the budget.

3.  Most of the products we looked at would have required us to expend major
effort and hassle to manage/track the client licenses issued to our remote
users all over the globe.  So far, we haven't had to do that, and we're
hoping Cisco recognizes and preserves that advantage!

4.  Competitive pricing across a wide range of performance.  Although growth
has slowed somewhat, we were deploying into an enterprise that was doubling
in headcount every 3-4 months.  We were willing to pay a bit more for the
box (about the same after client licenses, see item 3!) for the knowledge
that if our remote user base exploded, we could keep pace for a good long
time by installing SEPs as warranted.

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
(650) 701-2702
Niku Corp. "Transforming the Service Economy"