Problems with NT4 opening VPN connection to W2K Server.

Nathan Reeves Nathan.Reeves at HALLIBURTON.COM
Tue Feb 20 22:02:34 EST 2001

I'm facing a wierd problem that hopefully someone else may have seen and
have an answer for.

I have remote Server running NT4 with RRAS which is opening a VPN connection
across the Internet to a Windows 2000 server.  Previous to this we were
running NT4 at both ends but now run 2000 at one end.

Everything works fine if I initiate the VPN connection from the Windows 2000
server (eg Highlight the Interface in RRAS and select Connect).  I can see
the remote machine,  ping the machine etc fine.   If I initiate the
connection from the NT4 server,  the connection is made, but I cannot get IP
routing to occur.  If I try and ping each server from the opposite server,
I just get a timed out message.  I can see that data is being passed over
the VPN as the data counters are increasing,  but no routing occurs.

I've seen this on two NT servers now,  reproducible time and time again.

Anyone seen anything like this before??

Thanks in advance.

Nathan Reeves