VPN history

Ole Vik Ole.Vik at CONNECT.NO
Thu Feb 15 11:42:27 EST 2001

The X.25 stuff is from the middle of 1970s. The X.25 spec is from 1974. I worked on an implementation in 1978. We should probably include IBM SNA in the history as well. Closed user groups is not a very new invention. In SNA IBM uses SDLC, X.25 uses HDLC (link layer protocol). As far as I remember, the main difference is the CRC-algorithm used.
--
Ole Vik, Connect AS, Blakstadmarka 26, 1386 Asker, Norway.
Telephone +47-66 90 23 00. Telefax +47-66 90 23 05.