A doubt on IPSEC & NAT

Nimesh Vakharia nvakhari at GENX.NET
Thu Feb 15 22:01:45 EST 2001

  IPSec goes NUTS when it gets nat'ed but it has no problem accepting
traffic thats already nat'ed. For the device its just IP traffic.

eg

    NAT'ed Device --------  VPN Device ------- Internet Cloud-->>>

This setup works fine. This is feasible but its difficult to work it into
an already existing implementation. U'r probably going to have a change in
design/addressing changes, worry about single points of failures etc. But
hey it works.

People start freaking out when they see NAT and need VPN because there are
a ton of problems with it. But the order is very important and dosen't get
mentioned! NAT then VPN works... I think the "ORDER" seriously needs to be
stressed a lot more.

Nimesh.