Can I setup a VPN this way?

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Wed Feb 14 15:12:04 EST 2001

> Can a VPN start at site A and terminate at site C?  Each site has its own
> network id!

  In theory, yes.  In practice, the NetScreen boxes don't do this up to
version 2.0x; I don't yet know if 2.5 succeeded in adding this capability.
(It was on an early list of intended features for this release.)

> By the way, can a VLAN (lay 3) also provide "security"?

  Somewhat, but VLANs aren't really designed to be a security tool, and so
their trunking protocols *may* be subject to vulnerabilities.  I'd think
carefully about how important security is to your situation before relying
on VLANs as the mechanism.

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
(650) 701-2702
Niku Corp. "Transforming the Service Economy"

Fox
There are 3 sites in serial, i.e., A -> B -> C.  Each site has a Check Point
VPN-1.  They are connected using leased E1 lines.

Can a VPN start at site A and terminate at site C?  Each site has its own
network id!

Any comments are appreciated.

By the way, can a VLAN (lay 3) also provide "security"?

Any pointers/comments are welcome.

Ivan