Cable modem and vpns

george paine gpaine at V-ONE.COM
Mon Feb 5 09:42:58 EST 2001

David S. Nehoda <nehoda at nehodatech.com> wrote:

> My vpn server is connected to a firewall and a T1.  I can use a dial
> up acccount to access the remote network, but when I try to use a
> cable modem it does not respond.  Is there anything you know about
> this situation.  I have all ports open on the firewall for VPN.

  you didn't specify what VPN you're using - if you're running IPSec
it's prob. getting blocked by your cable carrier.  to get them to
un-block it you'll have to switch your cable account from a
residential to a business tariff (this will, of  course, increase your
cable subscription cost). another approach would be to use a non-IPSec
proxy client if your VPN supports it.

George T. Paine
V-ONE Corp. -- security for a connected world
  gpaine at v-one.com
  301 515 5200 ext 5322
  301 641 4277 mobile
http://www.v-one.com