[vpn] client-gateway (nat-nat)

Stephen Hope Stephen.Hope at energis.com
Mon Dec 17 09:36:52 EST 2001

Salah,

i think you are asking how to fix a problem where you have the same address
range in 2 different private networks linked by the Internet.

If this is just a routed connection, then so long as both networks do
address translation before their traffic hits the common Internet IP routing
will work.

However, if you link the separate network with a VPN tunnel, then the tunnel
effectively joins the 2 private networks. If there is routing conflicts or
address overlaps then routing within the networks cannot send packets in the
"right" direction.

The only fix for this is to:
1.	 organise addressing so that the overlaps dont occur.
2.	make sure that the conflicting addresses are in parts of the
networks which dont send traffic to the "other" private network, so the
conflicts dont interfere.
3.	put 2 sets of address translation between the overlapping networks.

So, if you have the same addresses in the 2 networks, then you need to do
address translation twice "outside" the VPN tunnel.

Or, you put all your servers and other public access systems which are
accessed from the other private network on an Internet assigned address -
i.e. use a guaranteed unique address.

regards

Stephen

Stephen Hope C. Eng, Network Consultant, shope at energis-eis.co.uk,
Energis UK, WWW: http://www.energis.com
Carrington Business Park, Carrington, Manchester , UK. M31 4ZU
Tel: +44 (0)161 776 4194 Mob: +44 (0)7767 256 180 Fax: +44 (0)161 776
4189

This e-mail is from Energis plc, 50 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0DE, United
Kingdom, No: 2630471.

This e-mail is confidential to the addressee and may be privileged. The views
expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of Energis. If you are not
the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately by calling our switchboard on
+44 (0) 20 7206 5555 and do not disclose to another person or use, copy or forward
all or any of it in any form.