[vpn] VPN hardware

Eric Wadsworth wad at acm.org
Sat Dec 15 11:26:09 EST 2001

I have considerable experience with networks, but I've yet to set up a VPN.
So guess what I've got to do now? You guessed it, set up a VPN. A company
is opening a branch in another state. They'll both have DSL, and networks
of Windows boxes (2000, XP).

I need a very low-maintenance solution that will provide strong encryption
and authentication. Based on what I read in the FAQ, a firewall solution
looks best. Is there a product that I can simply drop into place on each
server, wiggle a few settings, and get it working? I'll be setting it all
up at the main branch, setting up both networks, then unplugging the
offsite stuff and driving it to the other state, hopefully to be able to
plug it all in at the new location.

Oh, and there will be other branches opening up in the near future, so I
need something scalable too.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

--- Eric