[vpn] Cisco VPN 3.x client

Chuck Renner crenner at dynalivery.com
Fri Dec 7 19:24:14 EST 2001

Ok...let me clarify my earlier question.

I've got a situation like this:

                 Internet

		    (router)
                 |     |
                /                      /               (firewall          (Cisco PIX)
         NAT               |
       default GW)         |
               \          /
                \        /
                internal network

The internal network is 192.168.1.0/24.  The VPN clients are 192.168.2.0/24.
A routing entry in the NAT firewall redirects all traffic for 192.168.2.0/24
to the PIX.  At this time, no other traffic passes through the PIX; it's
only doing VPN duties, so all encrypted traffic bypasses conduit rules.

I've tried adding a default route on the PIX's internal interface to point
to my internal network's gateway, and I've added an ipchains rule on that
system to forward the traffic.

I've done some packet sniffing now with the client doing a tracert to
www.yahoo.com, and can report the following:

* The client is encrypting each packet of the traceroute and sending it to
the PIX.

* On the internal network, the most I see from the client is a DNS query for
www.yahoo.com.

So something in the PIX configuration has to be the culprit.  Any ideas?