[vpn] ProhibitIpSec registry key and NS5

Tom McHugh TomM at spectrum-systems.com
Wed Dec 5 15:52:47 EST 2001

Okay, now that I've read up on L2TP-over-IPSec a little more, I think I can
make a reasonable suggestion:  Read NetScreen's Concepts and Examples Guide!
:^)

It has some good doc on configuring your NS-5XP to act as an L2TP server,
but the key is that the IPSec tunnel *and* the L2TP tunnel are configured to
terminate at the NetScreen's *Untrust" interface IP.  Also, the tunnel must
be configured (on the 5XP itself) to be in Transport Mode.

The remote party ID would be (for most of the configurations I've done) IP
Subnet, with the subnet and netmask used at the NetScreen-5XP's trusted side
(e.g.: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0).

There's lots of doc on NetScreen website, including the C&E guide I
mentioned above, and their searchable knowledgebase is pretty good, but make
sure you use the option to search using *any* of the keywords (if you use
the "all" option, you'll find it's a little ... um ... sub-optimal).

Tom McHugh, Senior Systems Engineer
mailto:tomm at spectrum-systems.com

Spectrum Systems, Inc.
"Today's Technology--Solutions for Tomorrow"

11320 Random Hills Road, Suite 630
Fairfax, VA 22030-6001
703-591-7400 x218
703-591-9780 (Fax)
http://www.spectrum-systems.com/

Concerned about the security of your network?  Spectrum Systems' Network
Security products and services can take the worry out of protecting your
network.  Call us at 800-929-3781 or visit us at
http://www.spectrum-systems.com to learn more.