[vpn] Win2K and VPN

Kent Dallas kent at dalliesin.com
Wed Aug 22 14:05:53 EDT 2001

Joshua,

Actually, AT&T has publicly stated that they do NOT block VPN access on
residential cable modem accounts, and actually have contributed to the
pressure within the cable industry to NOT do so.

I am personally on AT&T cable modem service, and I can run IPSec, PPTP,
L2TP, and have not run into any "network blocking" problems.

The only cable provider I am aware of which limits use of VPN on consumer
accounts through their Acceptable Use Policy is Comcast at home.  And I have
been unable to determine if they ACTUALLY block anything, or simply threaten
to do so if they see abnormally high amounts of utilization (I know of at
least one user on a Comcast at home system that successfully uses IPSec, but
configurations may vary from system to system).

As Gregory Nowicki points out, a firewall on the client side could be the
problem, but if it is configured in a reasonable manner (allows Internet
sessions initiated from behind it out on any port), then it shouldn't be the
problem.  But it is still a good question - David, are you using a firewall?
If not, you should be...

A firewall on the corporate side shouldn't be a problem, since other users
seem to be successful.

Kent Dallas
Dalliesin, Inc.