expiration, generation, management of pre-shared keys

Eric Vyncke evyncke at CISCO.COM
Mon Apr 30 16:11:17 EDT 2001

James,

Most of your questions relate to your security policy, so, I'm not the best
person to answer.

Generating the new keys based on the old ones does not provide you with
perfect forward secrecy: if someone cracked or get a copy of the old key,
it can easily derive the new ones.

The last point about when to use certificates instead of pre-shared keys is
more generic and here is my point of view. It is not based on the number of
sites but rather whether you have a star topology or a fully meshed
topology. With the later topology adding or replacing a pre-shared key will
quickly be a real burden (as you need to update all other devices). It is
thus not really related to the number of nodes but rather on the rate of
changes (add, delete or modify) and on the topology.

Regards

-eric