newbie question: Nt4 vpn connection

Alhana Starbreeze elf at NAUTICOM.NET
Thu Apr 26 14:37:39 EDT 2001

OK, I'm a newbie here, but I've been reading up as much as I can on
VPNs, and here is my situation.

I set up a VPN with our Netopia R9100 router and I installed PPTP and
set up DUN so that after I connect to my ISP I can connect to the IP of
the router. I can connect just fine with several NT boxes and 2000
boxes. However, when I connect with any NT4 workstation, the 2000 boxes
on the LAN can see them, but the NT boxes cannot see any network
resources. I can ping the IPs of the servers from the NT machines, but I
cannot browse, or connect via run -> \\server\share. I have checked the
lmhosts file, and it all looks kosher.

The 2000 machines can both connect to the VPN and see the network
resources just fine. I followed the documentation on Netopia's site to
the T.

I've tried installing SP6a on the NT boxes, and also upping them to the
128-bit encryption version.

I'm wondering if the gateways are causing an issue since the ISP i am
dialing into is also who provides our DSL.

Any thoughts?

--
kimmie mckinnis
icq:186072/aol:starbreiz