Sonicwall ver 5.1.1 and Nortel Extranet Client

Ole Vik Ole.Vik at CONNECT.NO
Tue Apr 3 17:42:55 EDT 2001

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do, but let me guess:

You have an Internet connection with a SonicWALL SOHO/10 as your firewall before your LAN. You then try to run VPN from a PC on your LAN to somewhere outside your LAN (that is on the WAN side of the SonicWALL SOHO/10). This fails. You do not say if you are running NAT on your SonicWALL or NAT on your router (if you have one).

The SonicWALL does not need the VPN option for you to run VPN (IPSEC) through it. The VPN option is used for cases where the SonicWALL is an IPSEC end-point (for either a PC client or a LAN-to-LAN connection). In your case you could use this, but then you would not need any client on your LAN PC.

Passing IPSEC data over some routers running NAT does not work. This process (when it works) is called IPSEC pass-through, as the router (or a firewall) will pass the IPSEC data through correctly (a non-trivial, but possible, case when running NAT).
--
Ole Vik