Administrator and VPN

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Mon Apr 2 13:47:23 EDT 2001

  Well, the difference between a system administrator and a network
administrator is going to be in their job descriptions.  A system
administrator, historically, was responsible for configuration and access to
a single host or a closely-linked group of hosts; in some organizations,
this latter usage may have been extended to cover a network of hosts, or at
least the servers on the network.  A network administrator, on the other
hand, is responsible for at least a domain or subnet, and -- unless the
organization includes separate "network engineers", may also include
switches, routers, and so on.

  I would venture that, IN AN ORGANIZATION THAT DIFFERENTIATES BETWEEN THESE
TWO POSITIONS, it would be inappropriate for a system admin to set up a VPN
without the network admin's knowledge.

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
Niku Corp.