Length of Triple DES algorithm

Aronius, Joakim Joakim.Aronius at CA.COM
Wed Sep 13 07:25:26 EDT 2000

Small clarification: And the reason why the keylengths are 56, 112 and 168 instead of 64, 128 and 192 (which they are) is because 8 bits of each 64 bit block contains a checksum. This means that a 64 bit key has (at most) an entropy of 56 bits. Any reference to 64, 128 or 192 bit DES is the same as 56, 112 or 168 bits, respectively.

Joakim Aronius