Altsubject name question

Butters, Kevin Kevin_Butters at NAI.COM
Tue Sep 12 09:01:08 EDT 2000

Ok. How about a follow-up question? I am using an IPsec client, and I want
to add the Altsubject name attribute. Would it be expressed under the terms
of an RFC 822 name?

Kevin Butters

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Vyncke [mailto:evyncke at CISCO.COM]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 1:37 PM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: Altsubject name question

At 13:23 07/09/2000 -0700, Butters, Kevin wrote:

One, what purpose does the Altsubject name server on a X.509 Certificate
server?

To put something which is not a plain distinguished name (which is
the type of SubjectName). AltSubjectName can be anything including
FQDN and IP addresses

-eric

Two, is Altsubject name = = Common Name?

Kevin Butters

VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.COM

Eric Vyncke
Senior Consulting Engineer         Cisco Systems EMEA
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: evyncke at cisco.com          Mobile: +32-75-312.458
PGP Key available on request