ppp over ssh?

Sandy Harris sandy at STORM.CA
Mon Sep 11 16:20:25 EDT 2000

Andrew Chen wrote:

> I want a quick, cheap, secure, but not necessarily fast, VPN. I am
> planning on using PPP over SSH(SSL, actually) and then messing with
> some Linux routing tools (iproute and ipchains) to assemble this.

The docs for the Linux IPSEC implementation FreeS/WAN have links to
other Linux VPN solutions, including one that is almost exactly as
you describe.

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.5/doc/WWWref.html#alternatives

> Is there anything flawed in my idea? If not, is performance the only
> reason why not everyone is using this as their VPN solution?

Interoperability is one other. IPSEC is available for everything from
routers to IBM mainframes.