VPN Tunnel with No Data

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Wed May 24 12:31:19 EDT 2000

  I discovered last night -- by accident, actually -- that the 2.2 client
works with the "AtGuard" personal firewall software (which I believe has
been swallowed up by Symantec and become part of Norton Internet Security
2000).  The 1.2.6 client would crash my machine if that was running, so I'd
got in the habit of shutting it down before launching the VPN client.

David Gillett
Enterprise Networking Services Manager, Niku Corp.
(650) 701-2702
"Transforming the Service Economy"

Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 8:52 PM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: VPN Tunnel with No Data

It appears that 2.2 solved the problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Davis [mailto:pete at ether.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 5:37 PM
To: Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA

You should upgrade to 2.2 and see if you're still having problems. If so,
do you currently have an overlapping address assigned to an Ethernet NIC as
the
tunnel? If so, you will need to release / remove this first. When you say no
data goes across, how are you testing this? With a packet sniffer? Do you
see
any counters on the client increase / how about the Concentrator?

You say you're on an "Extranet". Are you behind a firewall ?? are you on
private
address space doing PAT? If so, does it permit ESP? If not, are you doing
NAT
transparent IPsec in which case you will need certain UDP ports 500 (and
your
defined port open), etc.

Can you ping across? or do nothing?

Best Regards,
-pete

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 08:41:15AM -0700, Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA
wrote:
> I use an Altiga C-20 with Client 2.1 on a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.  I
established a tunnel with the concentrator; however, no data passed down the
tunnel.  Any thoughts?

> The workstation has a NIC and is on an Extranet.  No modem or phone lines
are a part of this RAS VPN Implementation.

> Eric Jeffery, MCSE
> Network Systems Analyst
> TYBRIN Corp.
> Edwards AFB, CA
> 661-277-1760
>
> "The ultimate result of protecting fools from their folly is to fill the
planet full of fools."  Sir James Russell Lowell

---
     Pete Davis - Product Manager <psd at cisco.com>  (508) 541-7300 x6154
   Cisco Systems, Inc.  - 124 Grove Street Suite 205   Franklin, MA 02038