NIC or Modem, more information

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Thu May 18 20:17:33 EDT 2000

  Win98 has some kind of rule that dial-up networking takes priority, when
active, over NICs.

  Altiga, though, installs something called DNE ("Deterministic Network
Enhancer") into the mix.  Our observations are that:

(a) Some NICs/modems appear to have conflicts with DNE.  Sometimes DNE can
be unbound without losing needed functionality; sometimes attempting to
unbind DNE can render NT unbootable.

(b) Many of our remote users have laptops, which they sometimes bring into
the office.  An NT machine that has recently been in the office thinks it
still has a DHCP lease on the internal network, and a routing table entry to
that effect specifying the NIC as the interface to use.  When connecting via
the Altiga, this obsolete routing-table entry hijacks all packets bound for
our internal network before the Altiga client gets a chance to tunnel them.

David Gillett
Enterprise Networking Services Manager, Niku Corp.
(650) 701-2702
"Transforming the Service Economy"

Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 8:42 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: NIC or Modem, more information

I am using Windows 98 with an Altiga 2.2 client; however, the question is
also generic for all OS's and all applications, VPN or not.  I think those
that answered with the "bindings" are correct; however, the netstat -rn is a
great suggestion as well.  Any other thoughts?
Eric Jeffery, MCSE
Network Systems Analyst
TYBRIN Corp.
Edwards AFB, CA
661-277-1760
"The ultimate result of protecting fools from their folly is to fill the
planet full of fools."  Sir James Russell Lowell