VPN and login

Jon Carnes jonc at HAHT.COM
Thu May 18 09:59:06 EDT 2000

If you are connecting two or more sites together then how you login really
depends on the network you are using.

For an NT network you should have a BDC (backup domain controller) and a
WINS server at the remote location.  You can get by without them, but timing
issues on the remote network will frustrate you.

For Novell, you should have a server on site at the remote location.  Again
you can get by without, but timing issues will frustrate your users.

For a Unix environment you should be fine (but it depends on the exact
functionality you want out of your network).

If you are just attaching individual machines (home users and travelers) via
VPN, then once the vpn connection is made, the remote users just carry on as
though they were on the local network.  For NT machines on an MS-NT network,
you will have to manually add any remote machines to the Domain (unless they
were once on the domain and have already been added).  To add a machine to
the Domain you would go to the PDC (primary domain controller) and under
Administrative Tools / Server Manager, add the remote machine's name.

Your question is a good one, and it is one that Cisco should have been able
to answer.

Best of Luck

Jon Carnes
MIS - HAHT Software