VPN configuration

Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA eric.jeffery at EDWARDS.AF.MIL
Mon May 15 18:35:03 EDT 2000

I'll reiterate, with a VPN managed by a vendor like UUNet, Saavis, or Qwest, an SLA will include latency and availability so the uptime advantage of Frame practically goes away.  With cost as a criterion, as it should be for all of us, I'd suggest a VPN managed by a professional organization for your solution.

We built an in house VPN solution; however, it is for RAS and a couple of sites.  Your desire for managing 130 stores leads me to recommend outsourcing your VPN solution.  At Networld+Interop last week there were many vendors with great solutions; Jeanne, I'd suggest you look in to that.

Eric Jeffery, MCSE
Network Systems Analyst
TYBRIN Corp.
Edwards AFB, CA
661-277-1760

"The ultimate result of protecting fools from their folly is to fill the
planet full of fools."  Sir James Russell Lowell

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gillett [mailto:dgillett at NIKU.COM]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2000 1:46 PM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: VPN configuration

  Frame relay is likely superior to VPN on uptime and throughput, and can be
made more secure as well.
  I don't see that managing the VPN should be more expensive than managing a
frame solution.  But once you raise cost as a criterion, I think you may
find that VPN wins on both initial/installation costs and on monthly service
costs.  So there's a business judgement to be made:  how much is better
uptime and throughput worth to this company?

David Gillett
Enterprise Networking Services Manager, Niku Corp.
(650) 701-2702
"Transforming the Service Economy"

Wright