VPN configuration

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Mon May 15 16:45:48 EDT 2000

  Frame relay is likely superior to VPN on uptime and throughput, and can be
made more secure as well.
  I don't see that managing the VPN should be more expensive than managing a
frame solution.  But once you raise cost as a criterion, I think you may
find that VPN wins on both initial/installation costs and on monthly service
costs.  So there's a business judgement to be made:  how much is better
uptime and throughput worth to this company?

David Gillett
Enterprise Networking Services Manager, Niku Corp.
(650) 701-2702
"Transforming the Service Economy"

Wright
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2000 4:46 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: VPN configuration

I am working on a WAN design for a 130 store retail operation in 5 states. I
want to do credit card authorizations as well as data transfers and web
applications. The 2 main designs recommended by different companies are a
56K Frame or a 56K VPN.
Has anyone gone through this analysis already and found that one or the
other is better in uptime, throughput and security? I am leaning towards a
VPN but am concerned about the credit card authorization and the costs to
manage the VPN.
Thanks -
Jeanne Wright
Director of IT