Red Hat & Solaris port security

Truman Boyes truman at RESEARCH.SUSPICIOUS.ORG
Tue May 9 15:39:03 EDT 2000

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Jose Muniz wrote:
> Then you can also if you are a bit more paranoid, which you should be then
> you comment
> the port to services lines on /etc/services.
>
> And then you kill -HUP the process.
> Jose Muniz.

Hi,

	I do not see how editing the ports on /etc/services adds any more
security to your machine. It is just a table of services to ports... At
the most, commenting those lines out would just prevent you from
accidentally referencing those service names in your firewall
configs. Is there something I am not getting about that file, that would
have an effect on security ?

.truman.boyes.