AW: What's the deal with NAT?

Frame Peter peter.frame at SOFTLAB.CH
Tue May 2 02:46:04 EDT 2000

When using NAT you have two options - many-to-one (check point hide), and
one-to-one (check point static). When using many-to-one, the NAT device
changes the IP address and the source port. If your IPsec devices, and this
is the case with some, sends and receives on UDP port 500 (IKE) then you can
see the problem. If you use one-to-one then the IP address is changed but
not the source port. IKE should now work, the question is then AH or ESP.
AH, as has been pointed out, does checking on the IP header and cannot be
changed. I have tested some IPsec devices and, on the ones I have tested,
ESP works ok since they are not doing any checks on the original IP header,
but even if they do you should be able to turn this off since it is not
mandatory. So you could try using one-to-one NAT but the problem here would
be is the amount of addresses required.

Peter