Micro$oft pptp-vpn

Jeremy Jones JJones at NWNETS.COM
Tue Mar 28 17:19:42 EST 2000

Do you have WINS servers on either side of the VPN WAN subnet?

Also, if you're using DSL routers, you'll need to add routes pointing to the
subnet on the other end of the VPN WAN subnet going through the NT boxes:

#####SUBNET 1######                     #####SUBNET 2######

WKS1---HUB---NTSRV1                     NTSRV2---HUB---WKS2
	DSL1-----------------INTERNET--------------DSL2

WKS1 should have a default gateway of DSL1
DSL1 should have a route to SUBNET 2 via NTSRV1
NTSRV1 should have a route to SUBNET 2 via NTSRV2
DSL2 should have a route to SUBNET 1 via NTSRV2
NTSRV2 should have a route to SUBNET 1 via NTSRV1
WKS2 should have a default gateway of DSL2

Hope this helps!
Jeremy Jones MA, MCSE, CCNA
Northwest Network Services
mailto:jjones at nwnets.com

-----Original Message-----
From: jmyrick [mailto:jmyrick at BENCHMARK-CORP.COM]
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2000 9:44 PM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Micro$oft pptp-vpn

I'm trying to connect two LANs together using Microsoft's PPTP.  Each LAN
has it's own Domain and a DSL modem/router to connect to the internet.  Each
DSL router is running NAT (IP masquerading).  The appropriate Trust
relationships have been set up and I can connect the two PDC's and see
network shares from either side.  However, I'm unable to get clients on
either side to resolve an IP address in the opposing domain.

I have been following this list for the past couple of weeks and it is the
primary reason I've gotten this far.  However, I'm stuck.  How do I get
clients on either LAN to see each other?  (seems like a simple
routing/browser problem).  The only thing I haven't done according to
examples I've read is install 2 NICs in each of the PDCs.

Thanks in advance for any help.    Joe...