ATM and VPN's

Ryan Russell ryan at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Thu Mar 9 18:06:21 EST 2000

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA wrote:

> Help me out- What's the point of a VPN over ATM?  If you establish a PVC
> that's the same thing, isn't it?
>
> My understanding is that VPN's came about due to the insecurity of IP; ATM
> doesn't have these weaknesses so again, what's the point of a VPN over ATM?

Most people's definition of a VPN includes encryption.  If you don't want
to trust your ATM carrier, you'll still want encryption, authentication,
etc.. on top of a PVC.

This question is usually asked in the context of frame-relay.  It's the
same question.  Do you trust your carrier (or perhaps switch manager if
it's all in-house) to not snoop or do anything dumb?

Most frame nets are considered "private' though they probably shouldn't
be.

					Ryan