Opinion requested (fwd)

Steve Cundall SCundall at ARIBA.COM
Wed Mar 8 15:06:47 EST 2000

Mike and all,
We are currently using PPTP and a NT server and are looking to change that.

How do you find the Contivity to be in troubleshooting problems like you
describe below? We find with the all NT solution, its VERY difficult to
figure out what is going on, since both the client and server give very
general, non descript error messages.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Little, Mike (BHS) [mailto:MLittle at BHSI.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 11:44 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: Opinion requested (fwd)

I agree.

We have 2 CES 2000s and they've been great.  Although we have some users
running the Extranet Client and IPSec, most are just doing MS PPTP from
various Windows platforms.  Most of the problems we deal with are client
specific, but we've also began running into issues with some sites that have
some other vendor's internet device doing NAT for the entire site.  Getting
multiple tunnels going from the workstations is tricky at times from some of
these locations.  It seems, too, that the ISPs choice of network devices has
an occasional impact on the tunnel negotiation process.

For what it's worth, we'll probable soon be throwing in some
branch-to-branch stuff using Nortel's Instant Internets as well.

That's my two cents.

- Mike Little